Sunday, November 20, 2011
Friday, September 16, 2011
Wednesday, September 7, 2011
Tuesday, July 26, 2011
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
featuring Splityarn (Caro Sheridan) and Stitchy Mcyarnpants (Deb Brisson). This episode also includes a chat with two designers from "Knitting it Old School": Punk Rawk Purl (Tammy George) and hizKNITS (Stephen Houghton).
Now available online and iTunes.
Monday, June 6, 2011
Monday, April 4, 2011
Men's Fall Knitting Retreat will be September 1 - 4, 2011. We'll be returning the the beautiful Dumas Bay Centre just outside of Seattle, WA.
If you'd like more information, you can contact Michael Wade directly (Flickr msg him for email address) or join the discussion on Ravelry.
Media Link: Anna-archy for Knitters (47:16)
There's a million crafters in Fiber City and we've all got a yarn to spin.
This episode of Fiber Beat is underwritten by Bobbin's Nest Studio, from Santa Clara, CA. Bobbin's Nest is a fabric and yarn store specializing in: knitting, sewing, crochet, and hand embroidery. Coming in April, be sure to check out the new Po Campo bicycle bags (which also make great knitting bags) as well as new yarns from Sweet Georgia!
Fiber Beat, Episode 17: "Anna-archy for Knitters" featuring Anna Zilboorg & Lucy Kaplan
In this episode of Fiber Beat, I sat down with knitter, designer, dyer, teacher, author & everyone’s favorite knitting anarchist - Anna Zilboorg. Her book Magnificent Mittens has just been lovingly reworked by Anna and re-issued by XRX Publishing. We talk about breaking the knitting rules, the magnificence of mittens and whether or not knitting is a spiritual or meditative practice. Next on the episode, I had a conversation with my friend, Lucy Kaplan, who is a practicing Buddhist and an avid practitioner and teacher of meditation. We spoke about whether crafty pursuits can be similar to meditation.
The following people, places and things were mentioned:
- Simply Socks: 45 Traditional Turkish Patterns to Knit previously published as Fancy by Anna Zilboorg
- Knitting for Anarchists by Anna Zilboorg
- Socks for Sandals & Clogs by Anna Zilboorg
- Sock Summit 2009
- The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power by Barbara Walker
- Sock Master Class by Ann Budd. Publish date: July 12, 2011
- XRX & Stitches Events
- Tibetan Buddhism
- Vajrayana Buddhist Pract
- Vipassanā Buddhist Practice
- The Theravada tradition
- Zen Buddhist Practice
- Balsa Wood Gliders
Fiber Beat CONTEST for Episode No. 17
I have a signed copy of Anna's original hard copy edition of Magnificent Mittens for one lucky listener. All you have to do to enter is tell us what is it about your fiber craft that brings you bliss. One of my favorite things about knitting is the elegance and simplicity of stockinette. I love how it looks, how it drapes and how it grows from my needles. Now, it's your turn.
To enter the drawing, please leave your comment on fiberbeat.com or on the Fiber Beat Ravelry forum. One winner will be randomly selected from all the entries. DEADLINE FOR ENTERING IS April 15, 2011.
The winner of the Fiber Beat CONTEST for Episode No. 16 is Dawna. Her signed copy of Respect the Spindle is on its way to her home. Thank you to everyone who participated and congratulations to Dawna.
I would like to thank sponsor Bobbin's Nest for their continued support and to thank you our awesome listeners for downloading and listening to our first TWENTY-FOUR episodes (audio/video) of Fiber Beat! Finally, I'd like to extend a anarchic armload of thanks to Anna Zilboorg and a contemplative word of gratitude to Lucy Kaplan.
We used snippets of the songs below in this episode. If you like the music, please support the artists (links provided for your convenience):
- "Fiber Beat theme" performed by Anthony Bonet from exclusive to Fiber Beat (2010)
- "Tomorrow Never Knows" performed by Tangerine Dream from Booster II (Cleopatra, 2010)
- "Money, Money" performed by Joel Grey and Liza Minnelli from Cabaret: Original Soundtrack Recording (ABC, 1972)
- "Computer World" performed by Kraftwerk from Computer World (Elektra, 1981)
- "Project Runway" performed by Heidi Klum from Project Runway: The Complete Eighth Season (The Weinstein Company, 2010)
- "You Can Close Your Eyes" performed by James Taylor from Mud Slide Slim And The Blue Horizon (Warner Brothers, 1971)
- "Older Woman" performed by The Bugaloos from Bugaloos (Soundtrack) (EI Records, 1970)
- " Lazy" performed by Ella Fitzgerald from Sings the Irving Berlin Song Book (Verve, 1958)
- "The Grouch Song" performed by Oscar the Grouch from Oscar's Trashy Songs (CTW, 1969)
- "Tomorrow Never Knows" performed by Modern Meditations from Modern Meditations to the Songs of The Beatles (Modern Meditations, 2009)
- "Breathe" performed by Erasure from Nightbird (Mute Records, 2005)
- "Root Chakra" performed by Tibetan Singing Bowls for Relaxation, Meditation and Chakra Balancing from Tibetan Chakra Meditations (Nature's Cure Records, 2009)
- "Tomorrow Never Knows" performed by Junior Parker from Children Of Men (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (HIP-O, 2006)
- "Tomorrow Never Knows" performed by Monsoon from Monsoon Featuring Sheila Chandra (Island, 1995)
My name is WonderMike and I'll see YOU on the Fiber Beat!!
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Now available online and iTunes. Be sure to enter the contest for a signed copy of "Respect the Spindle" by Abby Franquemont.
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Now available online and and on iTunes!
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Many of you know that we hold the Men's Fall Knitting Retreat on the West Coast, but you *might* not know that the Men's Spring Knitting Retreat is held on the East Coast (upstate NY @ Easton Mountain). The whole enterprise is the brain child of QueerJoe & KnitterguyTed and they are the the reason that so many retreats have started happening all over the world!
So, thanks to the generosity of several anonymous donors, Joe is offering two MSKR scholarships that cover workshop fees plus a $400 travel stipend. If you know a man (or two) who should be at this retreat, be sure to nominate them.
You can send nominations to Joe at firstname.lastname@example.org. Scholarship recipients will be selected from all the nominations by a panel of Men's Knitting Retreat coordinators (QueerJoe, Ted Myatt, Barry & myself). DEADLINE FOR ENTERING IS January 28, 2011. The winner will be officially announced on February 4, 2011.
General retreat information is on the Men's Knitting Retreat website.