Videos

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Watch The Spinning Wheel Turn

You might not have heard, but KnitOneOne has moved to a lovely new studio in South Berkeley, near Sweet Adeline's Bakeshop. The new location is very open and bright and ideal for classes. There are hardwood floors and a generous skylight that make the room very warm and inviting. At the moment, it's a bit echo-ey, but I'm sure that will be taking care of once more yarn and furniture are brought in.

I was very excited to be one of the first classes to take place in the new studio. And I had heard wonderful things about Brooke and Maia from Tactile Fibers.

This was my second attempt at drop spindling as I didn't feel like my first instruction was enough to explore all the different techniques, nor was it enough to get decent feedback form experienced spinners. Brooke is an excellent instructor in this respect and I would recommend taking a class with her if you're so inclined.

I'm still somewhat on the fence as to whether I'm going to dive in to spinning but it's nice to understand the principles of yarn formation since it's such a big part of knitting. My only issue is that it's a pretty big investment to get a nice wheel, then I'd have less time for knitting which is already an issue for me. It doesn't help that I have severe startitis and pretty much a racoon's sensibility when it comes to new fiber and books.

I'm sure I'll find the right balance with my spinning and probably keep it in mind for small projects like booties, hats and, if I'm feeling adventurous, socks!

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I am SUPER intimidated by spinning...you're always up for a new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "raccoon's sensibility..." Hee. I think I got that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you go with your Back2Back posting. You are very pragmatic - spinning does equal less knitting time. I should have figured that one out. But it is a lovely world and you meet the nicest, most fiber-obsessed people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that you enjoyed class! I enjoyed teaching it. Can't wait to see you and everyone else on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooooooh!!! GET A Wheel!!!!! WHEEEEEEE!!!!

    :-p

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a natural and we (spinners of the world) have our claws in you now. Resistance is futile.

    ReplyDelete