Videos

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Where's the Hamburglar?


Grimacey
Originally uploaded by mikewade
Yes, I'm Grimace(Y), but what else is new? Does anyone get that McDonald's reference? Hmmm. Yeah, I bet you all too young to even know what that is. Gawd, I feel old, in spite of having the mouth hardware of a 13 year old.

The first post of 2008. Yes, yes, I know that I've been horrible about blogging. If intention and incompleted posts count, I'd have you all caught up with my life, but every time I start up writing, I get bored and have to trash it. At first, I wanted to do a New Year's Resolution list, but I never do them, so it would be a list of things I haven't accomplished. And will all the competition for my time, I didn't want to make myself feel guilty for yet another unfulfilled personal obligation.

I'm going to reflect a bit on 2007 and why 2008 is going to be so much sweeter.

January of 2007 started off with a trip to the emergency room with Anto. I thought he had had another stroke (albeit much, much milder) and I was worried that if I didn't act quick, we'd be very sorry. The reason we went was due to some pretty severe cognitive processing difficulty. It just wasn't like him to be forgetful and confused all the time.

We eventually discovered that it was a combination of meds he was taking for spasticity and high blood pressure, but man, I really thought that it was the beginning of alzheimer's or dementia. It was pretty friggin' scary and I started to lose my shit. Fortunately, we started up some decent physical therapy in Vallejo with the folks at Kaiser and began the long road to recovery.

I attended Stitches West for the first time last year and it was AWESOME. It was also bank breaking and too much to digest in one weekend. I've since learned that it's best to go to Stitches with a certain amount of cash and once you've spent it, you stop. At least that should work in theory. We shall see as Stitches West 2008 is coming up at the end of this month. In addition, I'm not taking any classes this year. I had thought of taking sock classes from Cat Bordhi and Lucy Neatby, but my hesitation (and worrying about finances) meant that the classes were full up before I had a chance to enroll. Oh well, it was meant to be. Plus, I can feel a bit better about putting my current knowledge, DVDs and books to work.

Last year also saw the reunion of two former acquaintances who didn't previously knit but now do so obsessively. The maniac I'm speaking of is none other than Stephen/Hiznknits and I'm so happy that this boy is in my life. He's funny, he's smart, he's irreverent and he's a kick ass knitter. He also has the cutest dog and a cuter partner. What more could I ask for in a knitting buddy? Well, I was about to find out....

During my SURPRISE 40TH Birthday party, I was given an awesome felting jellyfish project. It was created by Kate, Tammy, Elaine and Stephen and they are now my knitting posse. I'm so lucky to have these wonderful knitting obsessed friends in my universe. They make me laugh, make me think and, most importantly make me knit.

It was the infusion of coolness and originality to my knitting world, that inspired my upcoming foray into the world of podcasting. There, I said it. I can't take it back. Stephen and I have done a couple of interviews with some pretty cool people and we've been working with our Executive Producer, Anto, to get it ready for public consumption. More on that in the near future.

All right, that's me for now, I'll be a bit more regular in 2008. That's a promise to Victor, Karen and Stephen.

15 comments:

  1. Hon, you're not exactly purple enough for Grimace, and if you were I'd be calling the ambulance.

    I'm interested to hear what you and Stephen come up with. I'm also looking forward to my little trip west at the end of March. I won't have tons of time, but I do hope we'll be able to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love that Mel. You MUST let Stephen and I know when you're coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great post! I regret raking a class at Stitches East--looking back it was somewhat of a waste of time and money, cuz let's face it, I was there for the SHOPPING!!!
    Well, I hope that we get to see each other in 2008, and I am so psyched about our scarf project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photo outburst kind of scared me at first, but now that I've recovered I'm all in suspense for your podcast :)

    Hurry please, hurry! I want to listen now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He blogs! Now we need to hear this mythical podcast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back to the blogosphere and a fresh welcome to the podoshere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel about your knitting obsession the way I felt about your Swatch obession. . .both confused and bored. But I still love you, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, please don't let Spherey hear you say that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am looking forward to next week's post, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy the metal - I had it in my mouth (!) from age 35 to 39. I won't tell you how long ago that was... but I will tell you my retainer had sparkles in the plastic. Blame it on the fact that my Orthodontist's other patients consisted entirely of 14-year-old girls.

    P.S. I've got one word for you. Floss. It's totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blogger rises and with bands! They do just take the years off. I'm going down to Stitches on Sunday, so that probably means I won't see you there. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spherey will always hold a special place in my heart and home. Which reminds me, I should finish unpacking . . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finally! Only three months between posts--no biggie. :-) Glad to have you back in the blogosphere, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. GREAT picture! And it's about time we heard more from you, my friend. I was seriously about to poke you today about the moldy Thanksgiving post! Looking forward to the podcast.

    oh, and you are TOtally grimacy. My brother and his friend had a little band in high school, they wrote a song about Grimace, I'll have to bring it in for you.

    ReplyDelete